According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American (aafa.org), as many as 50 million Americans suffer from some type of allergy. 3.5 million of those 50 million allergy sufferers in the US suffer from skin allergies. As a cleaning products company, we can't cure them of their allergies, but we can do our best to eliminate some of the sources of common allergens. We do this through a few direct and indirect routes:
- We disclose 100% of the ingredients we use in every single one of our products. This helps people see what's coming into their home - and in contact with their skin - before it gets past the front door. Our partnership with Women's Voices for the Earth No Secrets campaign demonstrates our commitment to being a responsible company and disclosing ALL ingredients.
- We actively avoid ingredients that are known allergens
- Fragrance: the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) notes that fragrance is considered the leading cause of cosmetic contact dermatitis. Commercial fragrance blends can contain any of thousands of ingredients, and these don't need to be disclosed. This makes it even harder for consumers to identify the source of the problem. Until everyone is required to disclose what's in their fragrance blends (as the AAD recommends), avoiding fragrance is a simple way to reduce exposure to allergens.
- Dyes: many consumers are also allergic to coloring dyes. We feel that having a blue detergent is not worth the risk of triggering an allergic reaction, so no dyes here. Avoiding dyes is easy and doesn't change the performance of a product.
- We encourage people to replace their fabric softener. Fabric softener is a product typically laden with fragrances and dyes. Replace it with simple white vinegar. This simple switch is on our recipes page. By using Right Hand Laundry Powder and white vinegar as softener, you can eliminate the most common allergens from your laundry routine.
- We provide products for all kinds of customers. We sell to many kinds of customers all over the country (thank you to all of you!).
- Some like to buy a finished product to do their laundry, where our fragrance- and dye-free Right Hand Laundry Powder is a perfect fit.
- Some prefer to use their own recipe. Our No Frills Soap Bar or Really Grate Soap Flakes give them a safer, better alternative to the traditional DIY bars out on the market.
- Many like to clean their whole home better. Our soap bars and flakes are a perfect alternative to chemical-laden sprays for cleaning your floors, walls, and anywhere else that needs a regular cleaning.
We want to give people not only the products that help them and their families lead better, more comfortable lives, but also the information to allow them to make educated decisions.